Friday, January 23, 2009

Flying Back to Sibu

Slowly, the darkness had surrounded me. My visibility worsened due to my tiredness. The light from the lamp post at the corridor could not chase away the darkness surrounded me. The cabin was in complete silence. Nobody intended to break the taboo. At this moment, I collapsed with great agony into the chair. Tiredness, sleepiness and disappointment had conquered my entire body. It was not supposed to be like this. Whatever! I just want to go home…

After greeting my classmates and Ms Say Happy Chinese New and Happy Holiday, I rushed back to hostel to get my luggage. I was so glad that I would be at my lovely home after a two-hour flight. Edwin, who travelled with me, had been waiting for me anxiously since the taxi was going to be here in any moment. Both of us were shocked when we saw the cab. It was not an ordinary red-and-white cab, but a more luxurious one. We were quite worried about the fare but we still took it. The journey was fairly good and to our surprise we just had to pay for RM 60 (RM 30 each). Not bad, the driver was actually opened the door for us once we arrived. At that moment, we felt like the rich who had their own driver and the fare was reasonable. However, the nightmares were actually waiting for us!

The service offered by MAS Airlines was very good and professional. I was pretty satisfied with it. (I was not promoting it.) After getting into the boarding hall, we received our first bad news. The MAS staff on duty told us that we would land at Sibu Airport at 9.40pm instead of 8.40pm which was believed before. Oh my, it was not a direct flight. We need to stop at Kuching International Airport for immigrant clearance. This news didn’t disturb me much since I could still reach home before midnight.

After the clearance, we were asked to board again. We were going to fly to our final destination. “Lady and gentlemen, boys and girls, we will land at Sibu Airport at 9.50pm.” Another bad news to me. It was getting late and late. After 30 to 40 minute’s flight, I could see the scenic view of Sibu from thousands feet above. I was overwhelmed with joy.

“Lady and gentlemen, boys and girls, our request to land has been rejected by the airport due to poor visibility at Sibu Airport. At this moment, we will keep the plane at present position.” Oh no! I screamed in my heart. After 15 minutes rotating above Sibu, we were informed by the pilot that we were going to land in a few minutes. When the plane was in its way down, it suddenly accelerated up.

“Lady and gentlemen, boys and girls, once again our request to land is rejected. Your understanding is much appreciated.” The pilot attempted to land twice but they accelerated up just like last time. The acceleration increased after every attempt.

“Lady and gentlemen, boys and girls, our request to land has been rejected by the airport for thrice. For your information, we are currently flying back to Kuching International Airport. You understanding is very much appreciated.” What! We were flying back to Kuching!

All the passengers let out a scream when we landed in Kuching. The plane was actually bounced off when it touched the ground. We were given a transit pass to stop in Kuching International Airport. The crew was buried with inquiries from the passengers.

“The captain is contacting headquarter in Kuala Lumpur right now. If we cannot get any information in another 10 minutes, we are going to arrange accommodation for all of you. Please be patient.” The crew answered us. I didn’t want any accommodation or cash refund. All I wanted was to fly back to Sibu. The situation was a bit out of control. The parents were busy comfort their children.

Luckily, we were asked to board again after 30 minutes. I fell asleep after the plane took off. I was awakening by an announcement.

“Lady and gentlemen, boys and girls, we are going to land in a few minutes. Please keep your seat upright and fasten your seatbelt. We will turn off the light when we land.”

Finally, we were going to land at Sibu. We let out a scream and followed by cry as well as shriek of children. The plane bounced off again when it touched the ground. The bounce was actually more serious than the previous one. For your information, we reached Sibu at 00.30am.

After picking out my luggage, I walked out of arrival hall. I wanted to stay overnight at Edwin’s place. Fortunately, I met my father’s friend and got a free ride home. I actually arrived home at 2.00am. However, I was relieved and thanked God that I had reached home safely.


  1. oo God, what an xperience u had. btw epy chinese new year classmate. eat lot in Bintangor.

    hope for a more punctual and comfort flight back KBU ya . . ^^

  2. owh....what a lovely journey!
    i luv to be in flight coz i've never been in it!
    ho ho ho..